Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Build Your Own PVR :: Why Tivo When you can Freevo?

Build Your Own PVR :: Why Tivo When you can Freevo?

I've been thinking about building my own PVR or Personal Video Recorder. Basically I can turn my computer into a Tivo. I've been thinking about this for a while now. It's relatively Cheap. With Free programs like MythTV and GBPVR it seems well within reach. (These programs are the pretty looking programs that run everything from playing songs to recording shows.)

I already have the option to output video from my computer to the TV. I just need a way to get the Cable into my computer. There are alot of cards that enable me to do so. How awesome is that. How much does it cost? Well, between 40 and 100 bucks. 40 for barebones-gimme-the-tv-show card and around 100 for I-want-a-remote-control-and-gimme-the-tv-show card.

"Oh, but Ryan what about the subscription fee you MUST pay to get your tv-listings"

C'mon people you are talking to a thrifty-programmer type guy. It's called OPEN SOURCE or FREE. There is a really cool program out there called XMLTV and Zap2It which pretty much gets all of your TV info and makes it readable for a computer. Guess what? They're FREE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home