Thursday, January 20, 2005

Home Ice Skating Rink

There is an amazing phenomena that is a Home Ice Skating Rink(herein: HISR). A HISR is something recently introduced into my snow-sport-blind life.

Apparently people all over the freaking place make these HISRs. It blew my fucking mind! I'm not kidding you. I was amazed. I couldn't believe people actually did that. I still can't

There is a whole science to it.

First you have make sure that it will be in the mid 20's(-6c for my Canadian friend(s)) for about 5 days with at least 6 inches(152.4mm for my Canadian friend(s) of snow.
Pack the snow with a big piece of plywood.
Then build a cove of snow that will outline the radius of your HISR.
Spray water inside the ring of cove.
Smooth out the water before it freezes.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
and


Repeat.

Now, I'm getting all freaking excited! A co-worker told me about it!
I've been coming up with all sorts ways to make the smoothing part much better.

Like: Take a piece of PVC pipe. Burn small holes in it. Attach a hose, plug up one end, run the pipe along the ice and BOOM you have a makeshift zambone!!!!

Any other ideas?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

What up what up in the HISR!

Heh... I bet I'd be on the nancy boy side. I stink at hockey.

Then again, I stink at ice skating in general. Maybe I'll just stay home and drink cocoa.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

That's amazing. That's a whole huge thing I missed in my childhood. So sad, Ryan, so sad...

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home