Monday, February 21, 2005

Snowboarding, Again.

I'm going snowboarding tomorrow with some guys from work.

My Girlfriend and I went out yesterday to look at some used snowboarding boots. We came home with two new pairs of them.

What the hell? How did that happen? I. uh. wait! oh, ok.

I guess we're serious now.

Anyway. I've been doing some research. I've been talking to people and looking online.

Not that any of you care but here is some quick information if you ever decide to go.

The size of your board (and 'other things') is important:
The board should be as long as the height from the ground to somewhere between your chin and nose (lips). Boards are measured in centimeters.

YAY MATH! (I suck at math):
(1 inch = 2.54 centimeters - according to google)
I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall. (12inches = a foot. 12 x 6(feet) + 2 inches) That 74 inches. You don't get a board as tall as you. Only as tall as the ground to your lips. So let's subtract 8 inches from 74: 66 x 2.54(centimeter conversion) = 164cm.

Summary: Get the height to your lips from the ground (in inches).
Multiply that times 2.54. That will give you the height of your board.

Or you could look at this board sizing table will help you decide which board should fit you. I don't think they make exact sizes so round up. Friggin easy huh?

Types of boards:
Many types of boards. Freeriding boards seem to be what I want to use as a beginner. You can progress to mountain boards and trick boards. I don't care about those though, I just started. GOD! Give me a freaking break! I can't do sweet jumps yet.

Bindings:
These are things that hold your snowboard to your boots.
Two types: Step-in and Strap-in. See the next section for a description.

Boots:
First is size (again size matters). Get a size bigger than your street shoes. (Ladies, they don't make stiletto boots so you are going to have to deal with laces.)
Secondly. Type: Same as bindings; There are step-ins and strap-ins. Step-ins are easier to use. Your boot has two pegs on either side of it to latch into the bindings. They are easier to use(there's a little latch that releases your boot) but get jammed with snow. Strap-ins sound cooler and are a bit harder to use. You put your foot in the binding and have to tighten the strap using a ratcheting mechanism on the strap. I got a strap-in boot. It pretty much looks like a normal boot except bigger and stiffer.

Take a look at the charts for sizes.

Sorry for those who don't care.

2 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Since I am also 6'2" tall I'll just borrow your board. Do you happen to take a size 12 in your boots?
Also, did you decide anything about the job thing?

6:39 PM  
Blogger Amanda B. said...

You can not possibly comprehend how badly I would injure myself if I strapped a board to my legs and tried to fling myself down a snowcovered hill.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home