Monday, January 31, 2005

Short, Long Weekend.

This weekend was my Uncle's welcome home party. He got back from Iraq about 2 weeks ago. The VFW was throwing a party, so I (and my Girlfriend and doggie) head out east for a bit. I had to attend Kung Fu testing on Sunday so we decided to come back on Saturday.

On our way to Albany (New York State Thruway I-90) we stopped by Dan's house. My girlfriend has never seen his apartment. We took a short break and continued on our drive. Hopped back on the thruway. About a half-hour later I noticed some steam rising from the middle of the road. I thought, "Ok, It's a state trooper sitting there, idling, clocking people". Naturally, since the speed limit is 65, I slowed down from 85 to about 80(Miles per Hour, Canadians and other metric lovers). As I approached the steam I realized there was no U-turn and that a car had overturned and landed on its roof. Apparently she was heading westbound (I was heading eastbound) and veered of the road, hit the guardrail, flipped her car and landed on our side of the road. It took a minute to realize what had happened. I immediately search for my cell phone and tried to pull over. I couldn't find my phone in my panic so I pulled over about a quarter of a mile later, found the phone and called 911. They asked the mile marker, I had to pull up to find one, they said they were sending a person right away. By that time two more people pulled up behind me. I got out of the car (My girlfriend had to stay with the doggie) and hauled ass back to them.

I met two guys, Rich and some other guy (SOG). Rich was a young kid just out of the army. SOG was some dude who scared me but seemed nice enough. Rich asked if I had a cell and I explained that I already called them and we decided to run back to the car instead of driving.

Let me tell you that the nights 'round here are fucking freezing lately. If you breathe in through your nose you WILL have frozen boogers.

Rich and I ran as fast as we could possibly run while SOG just jogged. I could feel my lungs freeze and my body starts to cry with the lack of oxygen. I ran like the person was already dying. I had visions of what this person looked like hanging upside down in this car on its roof. I pushed them out of my brain and pushed harder.

About a mile later I did my best to catch my feet and slow down, as did Rich, who the fuck knows where SOG is. He might have just turned around.

There was another car there already and the overturned car was no longer running. Rich ran to the car and yelled at the guy driving the attending car to help us get this person to safety. The driver said, “She’s in the car”. I yelled, “Yeah, we know, let’s get her out!”. Driver responded, “She’s in the back!” “WE KNOW! Help us out!” as the driver just sat there nonchalantly. “SHE’S IN MY CAR, IN THE BACK SEAT!” the driver yelled. Oh, thanks for finally clarifying that, dickhead. Apparently she was in rough shape but was ok. We all walked back to the cars. Halfway back SOG shows up from behind us from who knows where.

We said our good-byes and continued on our journey. My lungs hurt for a long while after that. I was coughing for a good 40 minutes.


More about my weekend all week long.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Hey! I was there!

Just out of curiosity, why were you surprised I showed up (ignoring the fact that I was two hours late)?

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home