Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Sing Me a Song


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

For a change of pace my friend Steve (the guy from last post) asked if I wanted to go out to a local coffee house for open mike night to support some guys from a band I know. During school Steve, who plays the drums, Lead Singer Kid, who plays the guitar and sings (duh). Me? I like to play guitar and love to sing. I'm always singing. Be it backup or lead, I'm down.
Anyway, during school we got to play a little and sing a little and just have a good time to take the edge off school and personal problems. That was a year or two ago.


More like two.


There was always talk of starting a band. First it kind of started with us three. That went nowhere quick and ended fast. The lived too far from me for it to be something worth spending time with. Then Steve and Singer Kid, but Steve's dad didn't like the drums.

2 Years passed of silent writing of independent songs. Singer Kid got with some other guys and pulled it together. Last night they played out. It was Singer Kid's first time in front of the audience. I couldn't stay to watch it though. You know, work and all.

I met dozens of local artists trying to break into the scene. Some with great voices and amazing playing talents, others with terrible voices and horrible playing talent.
Throughout the night I just sat there listening to the chatter of what songs sound best this way, what voices sound worse that way. I thought, "That could be me". I love to sing. I love to write music. I love to play music.

I don't want to be famous. That's not my style. I'm not a fame type of guy looking for false reassurance of my life. I just want to sing and be heard. Heard for what I'm trying to say and not how I look. Heard for the music I can play, not how good I am at playing a crowd. That means nothing to me. I don't want to release a CD or play huge gigs.

I've been talking for a while now about throwing some songs together and going to an open mike night. Get myself out there and bust some songs out. Help people play, sing and hum our way through their song. I feel good when I do that stuff.

It's just another thing to take up my time. I'm going to start writing more songs and we'll see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Quit trying to be such a well rounded person. You are making the rest of men look lazy.
Well you're making me feel lazy..

10:30 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

Aw, you've gotta do it. How great would that be to at least try it once? I think it's a great idea!

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home